Background / History
The King’s School is part of The Pontefract Academies Trust, we work closely with our neighbouring Secondary and Primary schools, learning and developing best practice to raise standards for all the children in and around Pontefract. Please read the ‘Pontefract Education Trust Magazine’ for more information.
As a member of the Pontefract Academies Trust (PAT), we work in partnership with our Primary and Secondary colleagues to create a thriving learning community which provides the best possible education for the students of Pontefract and the wider community.
Teaching and Learning come first with us. The King’s School plays a significant role in providing excellent standards of teacher training, working in partnership with the Wakefield Regional Partnership for Initial Teacher Training (WRPITT), graded Outstanding by Ofsted in 2013. We work tirelessly to create outstanding learning experiences for our students, both in and out of the classroom, for example with our innovative approach to outside learning in our own “Forest School”.
We provide best practice in intervention accredited by the National Mentoring & Befriending Foundation (NMBF) and we are an exemplar school for best practice in Careers Education & Guidance, maintaining the “Investors in Careers” kite-mark for several years. Our students are very successful in their progression pathways Post 16, moving onto Further Education, Training and Apprenticeships and Higher Education with significant success.
Our curriculum is broad, balanced and designed to meet the individual needs of all of our students, equipping them with the skills needed for the 21st century. Our student focussed curriculum provides access to an exciting range of academic, vocational and extra-curricular activities. We offer a wide choice of enrichment activities to challenge, in particular, our most able students including Enterprise & Work-Related Learning activities, university residentials and a wide range of educational visits both at home and abroad.
We are actively involved with the British Council and are accredited as an international school. Our Creative Arts Team offers exciting opportunities in Art, Music and Drama and our success record in sports takes some beating, with student representation at local, national and international levels.
We have an experienced and enthusiastic Governing Body which supports and challenges the school to strive for continuous improvement and we value the contribution made by our parents to our home/school partnership.
Throughout the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries falling revenues and rising inflation saw the School fall into a state of decay and it was left vacant for many years.
A petition to the Crown in the late eighteenth century led to a doubling of the School’s revenues by the Duchy of Lancaster and a second Royal Charter was granted on 13th February 1792 during the reign of George III, wherein it was stated: “that the said free grammar school, situate and being within the said town of Pontefract…shall ever and hereafter be called The King’s School… ”
Further inflation continued to erode revenues. Despite efforts by the Duchy of Lancaster to resuscitate the School it floundered in 1879 due to local apathy. Local interest was revived at the end of the 1889’s when the Governors purchased the disused militia barracks in Back Northgate as a site for a boys’ grammar school which was officially opened on May 6th 1890.
The School moved to its present site in 1932, and the Main Block presently housing the English, Modern Languages and Performing Arts Departments surrounding an attractively laid out quadrangle, dates from that time. A conservatory overlooking the quadrangle which acts as a reception lounge has also been added. Extensions were added in the late 1950′s (Poulson Block-housing Mathematics & ICT)) and the late 1970′s (Design Block and Humanities Block).
From September 1998 further accommodation was provided with a large new Assembly Hall and in September 2000 a new Science Wing was completed. In addition, the original Great Hall was converted to the Learning Resource Centre, at the heart of the school. These together with a Sports Hall, Gymnasium and extensive playing fields, a refurbished Drama Studio and a Music Suite (with adjacent practice rooms) provide specialist accommodation for the full range of work to be found in an 11-16 comprehensive school.
Further improvements have been made with the refurbishment of the Dining Hall and the addition of a Deli Bar, a new Medical Room, the conversion of the Library into a Learning Resource Centre (incorporating the latest technology) and the creation of a number of additional staff work spaces.
Recent additions in 2013: Foundation Learning Centre – A teaching and learning (T&L) space with a focus on vocational curriculum, new T&L classroom and Training and Conference facilities. We converted the ex-Caretaker’s House into a bespoke inclusion facility. Our “Caretaker’s” House provides us with specialist inclusion facilities where some of our more vulnerable students are supported and cared for. We also have a new fitness centre/gym and a new reception with accompanying covered walkways leading into the school.
Autumn 2014 has seen the refurbishment of the “Poulson” Maths/ICT block with new windows and an external “face-lift”.
Considerable efforts have been made to retain the traditional character of the school, whilst, at the same time, providing modern facilities and creating a pleasant working environment for our learners.
Please click here to download a pdf version of our School Prospectus.